Sunday, June 22, 2008

b.f.f.l.y.l.a.s.t.t.f.n.

I must sing the praises of my Beckys today. I have two friends named Becky, and they are both incredible people and two of the main reasons I have stayed even moderately sane through this crazy journey of parenthood/renovation/grad school. My daughter has claimed them as "her friends," and she calls them "the two" because they are the two Beckys.

We've been really lucky to have a lot of help while here, and I think sometimes in the midst of feeling stressed or lonely or overwhelmed or freaked out, we tend to overlook it. Sort of like missing the forest for the trees... or the other way around.

But getting up at 4:30am in order to come and stay with a likely-to-be sleepy and disoriented 2 year-old before working for four hours and then being in class for another four hours, just so your friend's husband can drive her to Marion for eye surgery and be there for morale support is the hallmark of a true friend. As is driving materials from class over after work and class of your own so that said surgery recipient can try and keep up with things.

Sometimes the generosity of others blows me away. I hope I have been similarly generous, though I fear I have not... but I certainly strive to continually improve my ability to give freely and with love.

No comments: