Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Walk the Talk the Occ

Some days are harder than others. Some days are easier. In terms of this blog, I suppose the same holds true. Some days the words just pour out, and other days it seems like I sit, staring blankly at the screen for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

There were two lovely things today that could be counted as joys.

1. I was researching strategies and interventions for small group counseling focused on raising academic motivation for at-risk students. For whatever reason (probably because of my combo of search terms), I stumbled on several sites for elementary school counselors in various parts of the U.S. Each page I went to described a comprehensive school counseling program and was well though out, thorough, and exciting/inspiring to read. I got excited about school counseling again, which is a big deal because I have been struggling this semester with the larger ramifications of this career choice due to some unfortunate circumstances, and so it was good to remember what makes me excited and hopeful about this profession - and to see there are indeed people out there who are really putting in the effort.

2. The second bit of good news today was passed along by my husband, who saw that one of our favorite people, Dana, has decided to open her own massage studio. So very cool. This is not the biggest surprise, as we were still in Chicago when Dana began her massage therapist training, and there was no doubt it was a purposeful and meaningful path for her. You know how you meet people who are doing what you know they are supposed to be doing? You see them in that job and they are fully in their element. There's something sort of Zen about it. What is even more impressive is that Dana is pursuing this while also raising two twin daughters with her husband. She is a fierce and wonderful woman... and it's always nice to see your friends realize their dreams.

No comments: