Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Winter and the Mindful Remembrance of Blessings

We did not see the sun today. I don't know why this makes me so sad. Seasonal affective disorder maybe... or just some internal wish to feel warmth and see a bit of light in the midst of the year's longest days and this area's coldest weather.

Our plants are clinging to life in walls made darker by over-zealous paneling and shortened windows. My ferns lose their limbs hourly... dropping finger-like petals and snaking arms all over the floor. Turning from green and lush to brown and barren. Poor things.

I know I should love every season. Should look for nuggets of beauty and joy in each incarnation of the planet's myriad expressions as she pirouettes around the sun. But January and Feburary are tricky for me, and my mindfulness has fallen short this last week as my body seeks to outdo my good intentions with its complaints.

Wherever you may be, I hope you are enjoying your weather... your season. I hope there have been many joys and beauties in your path. And, if not, then I hope brighter and happier days are to come for you.

May peace prevail—particularly for those for whom concerns of sun or snow must seem like such small worries in times of suffering and sorrow.

2 comments:

Claff said...

Wish you were here, so I could take you to the Garfield Park Conservatory... :) Do you have anything similar out near you? I think just being in the presence of live, green, growing things in the dead of winter helps a lot...

Genevra said...

I wish I was there too. I miss you dearly and would love to go to the Conservatory with you. Sounds so nice!

There may be something like that in St. Louis, but nothing super close by I think. But we do get nicer weather... so I just try to take all the warm I can get when I get it! ;)