Wednesday, May 14, 2008

8 months

In our household, we've all been following the news regarding the earthquake in China and subsequent rescue efforts. Each day seems to bring new stories of tragedy and ever-higher numbers of those thought missing or confirmed dead.

I heard a report this afternoon that made me cry. A 34 year-old woman was rescued after being trapped for 50 hours. She is 8 months pregnant. Her rescue is somewhat miraculous, but what caught me was thinking about two women in my life who are due in June - at a very similar point in their pregnancies - my sister, Lydia, and my friend, Noelle.

Each of these women is very important to me, and I couldn't help but think what it might be like if they had been similarly trapped and thought lost. It brought home how heartbreaking this story was... and, although it had a positive ending, how many more will suffer different fates and how many survivors will be affected by the aftermath of this event.

I'm not sure what is ulatimately more productive when we process these major natural disasters and large-scale events affecting thousands of people. I think the stories of hope and salvation within the midst of so much sadness are wonderful and necessary, but I also can't help to think that, for every person saved, there are so many more who will not be.

I don't know if that's defeatist or pessimistic or unproductive. I know perspective and the way we look at and focus on things is very important... and I certainly don't want to minimize or make light of happy and successful efforts.

But I do think there is danger in forgetting about the immense level of suffering brought about when disasters happen. And, perhaps most importantly, to use each difficulty as a way of moving forward, improving our local, national, and global strategies, and redefining the ways in which we respond to crisis. We've had a lot of crises already this year... and there are likely more to come.

So how do we respond? What preventative measures are being taken? And, on a very personal level, what steps will I take to try to create positive change and a useful response? Perhaps it's to establish a more sustainable way of living and to share our successes and failures so that we can evolve within a larger community. Maybe it's to create a safe space and ensure it's large enough to take in others if needed... to feel we food we can share, shelter to offer, and can do so without hesitation.

We shall see. I think Andy and I are in the midst of a transformation of sorts, one that is connected to a larger spiritual purpose and a sense of meaning in our lives. In the meantime, I am very grateful today that my two mommies-to-be are safe and healthy... and I deeply pray for the safety and peace of those abroad.

2 comments:

dinabear said...

I heard that same story, while at work, and cried too, right there in front of my computer. It's true, as whole the tragedy is difficult to comprehend, but this one story really hit me.

Genevra said...

Andy heard that story as well and was similarly affected... I was struck too, simply hearing it from him. I'm really grateful to the news outlets and media sources that are providing these stories so that we an process on a more emotional level and can experience empathy and catharsis. As you both said... shared humanity and a way to connect with those affected by the tragedy.