Friday, May 30, 2008

Anywhere Could Be Here

As I was trying to get Ari set up with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse this morning, I caught a brief bit of coverage on CNN of the crane collapse in NYC. I didn't want to impede the viewing of Ariana's favorite TV show, so I went into the kitchen to see if I could get more info on NPR.

Unfortunately, no information was available at that moment, so I spent much of my day watching Ari and wondering if everyone was okay.

Most of our friends in New York live in Park Slope, but we do have a few folks in Manhattan. (Although I'm so unaware of the city's geography and such that I am not sure who would have been nearby and who far away.)

It seems unfortunate for a city that has experienced such collective traume and sorrow already. With China, Myanmar, Oklahoma, Florida, Iowa and more... things seems to be in a heavy state of shift and unpredictability lately that are leaving many injured or dead.

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the thinking that it will happen to someone else, or it will happen somewhere else... that such things do not occur where you are. But all it takes is one bad storm with sirens blaring as you rush to the basement with baby and doggy in tow... waiting for the all clear as the trees whirl outside and the sky darkens. The sky turns pink and the world quiets down, and you realize: this could be it. It could happen here.

It helps me to remember we are ultimately all one community, all one people interconnected and woven together despite geographic, cultural, or philosophical differences. I think I sometimes get down on myself because I don't reach out to every person (or every group of people) who have been hurt or are suffering in the wake of crisis.

But in the end, the simple act of reaching out a hand to one person in their time of need can be enough to change the course of a lifetime. And each small act sends out ripples that affect the rest of the web in which we are all bound.

Kindness has an impact.
Courage can lead to change.
Charity, and love, and communication may open someone's world.
And you never know how far those actions will carry.

May those of you who live in NY stay safe, and may those who were affected by today's events find peace.

No comments: