Sunday, May 18, 2008

Fellowship, Local and Global

We finally made it back to church today after having missed it for 2 weeks post-surgery. It was wonderful to be back and, as always, gave me a great sense of grounding, connection, and peace - which, to my mind, is the best of what any kind of religious or spiritual pursuit can offer.

In sharing our joy and sorrows, Bill asked us to remember those in China and Myanmar... which reminded me of a story I heard on NPR a few days ago. Essentially, someone involved in aid efforts for Myanmar was talking about how much more money and attention China is receiving, despite a much higher casualty and death toll in Myanmar.

And in the wake of hearing that story, I have noticed a marked decrease in the amount of coverage given to Mynmar right now. I hear about how the government is refusing aid and how relief efforts are going to corrupt and powerful entities rather than those who truly need them. But there have been very few reports with regard to the latest numbers of those affected, nor as many stories involving individuals - which, as some readers have pointed out, often provides a powerful way of processing and understanding such a large-scale tragedy.

In contrast, I've heard something about China reported every morning and afternoon, as well as coverage on CNN and local news sources. I believe one reason may be, given the reponse to aid by the Myanmar government, frustrations over a perceived lack of appreciation, cooperation, or acknowledgment of assistance provided have led to lessened coverage and perhaps fewer people being able to gather information or collect/record stories. I also wonder if those responsible for determing what is news might be deciding somehow that a nation that does not want help does not merit as much coverage? And, of course, it must also be noted that the issue may lie in the resources I regularly access to get my news. Maybe I'm just not using the best sources.

Whatever the reason(s), it is something I notice every day and it connects to some of the concepts and constructs currently being covered in my first course this summer semester: Cross-Cultural Factors in Counseling (particularly with regard to concepts of culture, identity, and bias).

I hope aid is accepted soon, particularly because - from what has been reported thus far - it sounds as if those in need are receiving very little and that people have had to rely on grassroots efforts and civilian-led cooperation and support that surely provides some relief but could not possibly be enough to address the many life-threatening results that still exist following the cyclone.

I pray for the continued safety of the survivors, for the peaceful transition of those who were lost, and that those who are wounded or hang in the balance may heal and gain strength in the coming days.

No comments: