Sunday, May 11, 2008

Five things I love about being a mother:

  1. There is nothing - truly nothing - like being hugged by Ari. The way she says "Mama" melts my heart, and I feel an immense sense of peace when I hold her in my arms as she snuggles into me.
  2. I love feeling connected to all the other mothers in my life... our shared experience unites us in a tribe of sorts - and it seems to bind us through common events, emotions, hopes, and concerns.
  3. Being a mother has helped me have more understanding of and empathy for my mother... for which I am very grateful. I think it's an incredible gift and quite an opportunity for learning and growth.
  4. You know how moms just know things? They have eyes in the back of their heads or are psychic or just seems to have this uncanncy, ridiculously honed sixth sense that allows them to be superbrains when it comes to either predicting or accurately reading the behavior of their children. You know what I mean? Well... I have that when it comes to Ari. I know when she's going to spill, I know what she wants to eat before she asks for it... I can tell when she's in the next room doing something naughty. It's freaky at times, but also very, very cool. Kind of like having a super power.
  5. My daughter is simply amazing. I respect her tremendously, even though she's only two at this point, and I can't wait to see the many changes to come as she transforms throughout her life. She is a beautiful, fiery, intense, courageous, charismatic, smart and funny ball of energy who requires me to change and evolve to keep up. She challenges me and inspires me to improve myself daily.

No comments: