Monday, May 26, 2008

Uke

I ordered a ukulele! Yup... a ukulele. I've been thinking about getting one for a long time... ever since I was in The Neo-Futurists and feeling frustrated by how big my guitar was (I have very tiny hands). I was thinking it would be nice to have something smaller and more portable.

My friend Chloe began learning to play and incorporated it into a bunch of plays. And I worried about "copying" her so I thought... Well, I'll just wait and get one later. Then Molly had one. Then I think Kristie was getting interested in them. And I thought... Well, I don't want to just jump on the ukulele bandwagon. What will people think?

Let me tell you, it's not important what people think. Certainly not in that kind of situation and maybe, ultimately, not ever.

So I ordered my ukulele. It will be my after EPSY 545 treat. And if I like the silly little one I bought as a starter, I can pass it on to Ari and upgrade to something a little bit nicer and a little bit more "serious." Here is what it looks like:




Maybe Chloe, Molly, Kristie, Ari, and I can form a little ukulele band.

And we won't care what anyone thinks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you don't care what people think, but I think it's really cool that you got a ukulele.

I think you'll love it.

First thing, replace those cheap strings with good ones. I recommend Aquila Nylgut strings (Google 'em, lots of places to find 'em.) No, I'm not affiliated with them, I just think their strings are da bomb. They'll make a big difference on the lower end ukes.

Have fun!

dinabear said...

I ordered an uke too, about two years ago...yeah, jumped right on that wagon. Every play I proposed with the uke, though, got a very anti-uke response. So I stopped uking, or trying to uke, in TML. I still uke, rarely, and by myself in the quiet of my apartment.

Congrats on your uke!

Chloe Johnston said...

Congrats! Welcome to the fold! You're gonna LOVE it. Here are some links you might like:
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/
http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs.html

love,
chloe