Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Update:JOY/Update:SORROW

Today merits two updates... one a joy, one a sorrow. One personal, one global.

JOY
Update number one has to do with my surgery... I saw the surgeon today, and he said there is no retinal fold, rather the dark area I am seeing is the gas bubble, which should decrease in size over time. He said all looks good, and he expects everything to heal pretty well over the next 3-4 weeks. I see him again at the end of May and, assuming no more work is needed on the right eye, we'll schedule an appointment for the left eye, which he thinks can probably be done in the office. All very good news.

As I told my loved ones, I won't feel 100% relaxed until it's all over and done with, because I have heard from many people that multiple surgeries are often necessary. But it was quite relieving to hear all looks good and that he expects the recovery process to go well.

SORROW
Perhaps you've been following the story already, but the death toll in Myanmar is now up to at least 22,000, with over 40,000 people still missing. This is the greatest impact a natural disaster has had in Southeast Asia since the tsunami in 2004.

In an effort to be proactive (and to tilt at some windmills - see yesterday's post), here is information for providing aid to the region, should you feel so inclined:

http://www.google.com/myanmarcyclone/

No comments: