Monday, August 4, 2008

A Crazy Confession

Out of the blue and for no discernible reason I can figure, Ari's feet have begun to stink. Not just that sort of milky, sour, oh-maybe-we-should-take=a-bath smell of younger children that is cute in its attempt to be an outright stink.

No... this is a head-on, eye-closing, jaw-dropping, full-on stinky. Equal parts fume-y and powerful, with a hint of cheesey, sweaty, non-baby smelliness.

So here's the crazy part...

I love it! I love that her feet stink. It's like she's suddenly old enough and big enough to no longer smell like a baby and to have every bodily odor scented of cuteness. No more gentle smells. She has the odor of a toddler now. She actually smells bad sometimes.

She delights in making us smell her feet and react to how badly they reek. I think she is thrilled to have such a grown-up odor too. As if she understands she has somehow moved into a new phase of development wherein she has the power to make people squeal, wince their eyes, and turn their heads away. And I am perfectly happy to rejoice with her in her newfound olfactory-related strengths

2 comments:

Claff said...

HAAA!

This post makes me laugh and laugh.

I feel that way about Bird's stinky, icky, old-Frito feet. :)

It's something I sometimes think about, too -- how sometimes even a person's bad smells start smelling good to you. Familiarity and all that.

Genevra said...

Absolutely! I love the smell of Simon's feet as well. And Andy's armpits. Like you said... even the bad smells smell good!