Thursday, August 28, 2008

Still Dreaming...

I must admit I've gotten sucked into the coverage of the DNC convention in Denver. I blame my husband, who is a staunch and nearly-giddy Obama supporter... and a true political nut on top of it. (Hence, the creation of his brainchild, 43 Plays For 43 Presidents... which, oddly enough, is going to be produced at the Actors Theatre of Louisville next month.)

Anyway... I was so inspired and floored by Al Gore's speech tonight (and so surprised and miffed at the lack of conversation about it among the pundits covering the convention on CNN) that I had to make it today's joy.

Now, mind you, it is tempered with sadness (all over again) about the outcome of the 2000 election... and anger at how the results were bungled and, one might say, unfairly and somewhat questionably coerced to proclaim Bush the winner... along with a deep regret that this man - this brilliant, passionate, dedicated statesman - will never be our president. (And, by the way, for a stunning bit of deja vu, check out the details of the Tilden-Hayes contest.)

BUT... it was a stunning speech and it brought me great hope and happiness to hear it. I know some people think he's a crackpot, and some people think global warming is a fallacy, but I think the naysayers are in for a bumpy ride over the next 4-5 years or so. But hey - maybe I'm wrong. I certainly hope so.

All I can say is: Yay Gore! You rock my world. (And you rocked the house tonight.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi G,
I think I told you that I read my friends' blogs from time to time, including yours, which I love!!! I just saw they're doing 43 Plays again! Wow. That's pretty awesome. I wish I could see it. Also, I think Andy might need to have a sit down with my dad - he's pretty anti-Obama and I just don't know what to do. I don't know how anyone could vote Republican this time around. sigh. But I hope you guys are well!!!!