Thursday, August 21, 2008

Stuck

I heard about today's school shooting right before sitting down to write this evening. I have sat in front of the computer for an hour now, trying to decide how to write a response... but I keep feeling that every sentiment I want to express or question I wish to ask fails as I attempt to put it down.

Working in a high school now has heightened my sensitivity to such news stories, although as a school counselor in training, they have always stood out to me and tend to feel like a punch in the stomach. Or bricks in the chest. Or something sort of stifling and painful with a hint of deep sadness and fluttering anxiety.

All the questions that run through my head surely run through yours as well. It is difficult to make sense out of violence. Keep the people of Knoxville in your prayers. This has been a tragic month for the city.

1 comment:

plaidshoes said...

Stories like this also stick in my head. For me, I remember school as a safe place. As a parent, I can't imagine sending my child to school and have them witness/be a victim of such violence. As an adult, it makes me so sad to see such anger/violence in kids - how taking another's life seems to be the only option.