Saturday, August 16, 2008

An Instant Can Change Everything

I was talking to my sister today, who is celebrating her birthday. She just had surgery and everything went very well, which was a great relief. She also just landed a great job, and she and her new baby are both doing very well.

Then she shared some sad news with me. Her godson fell off a boat and drowned. He was going to turn three in a few months. His death has created a rift between his parents, and Lydia is not only mourning his loss, but is also very concerned for her friend (his mother) who is, understandably, devastated.

Ariana is a very willful and independent child. It's something Andy and I love about her, but also something that causes us a lot of stress each day. She is spirited and strong and fast and fearless. This means she often skips around the fringes of danger, and we must be extra vigilant with her because she is not always good at remembering all the little pieces of advice mommy and daddy have shared in the hopes of helping keep her safe and out of trouble. (And she is only 2... so it's not like we really expect her to.)

That said, I can admit that there have been times when my focus on her has lapsed... where I have stopped following her with full attention for a few seconds - and she is suddenly no longer in my line of vision. A split second of realizing I was not keeping track of her... and then she appears, happily involved in something with an unwavering gaze.

Andy and I have been lucky. Our lapses (which I believe every parent has) have never ended in tragedy... those seconds of "Where's Ari?" have never led to any serious danger, hurt, or panic. But sometimes, it is just that... luck.

If you believe in such things, please keep this young boy's family and friends in your prayers. And send him your blessings for peace and love as he transitions into whatever may come after death.

No comments: