Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pumpkins and Spice and Everything Nice

Today just smelled like fall. Completely and fully like the crisp, sharp, cool air of Halloween and wood-burning fires and apple orchards.

It's amazing how the smells of the seasons can set off a whirlwind of memories. All the handmade costumes my mother made me for Halloween parades (and my amazement each year that I never won a prize!)... making taffy apples and roasting pumpkins seeds... family members trying to outdo each other with our artistic carvings... walking through crunchy leaves just to hear the rustle and enjoying a fire each night as the temperature slowly dropped.

I can't wait to enjoy the season with Ari and for all of us to create new traditions as Andy and I select from those of our childhood and savor the nostalgia brought on by a confluence of elements that make this season special and familiar and exciting - even at the age of 35.

No comments: