Monday, October 13, 2008

Off the wagon and halfway down the hill...

For whatever, misguided, silly, spur-of-the-moment, grief-induced reason... I initiated a course of action whereby we ate Long John Silver's today. Mind you... we'd been somewhat naughty about our eating during our visit with Num-Num and Papa Roman. But we'd still managed to eschew any hint of fast-foodery... working like mad to keep our weight at least steady during their visit (and succeeding).

However in the last two days since they've left, Andy and I have both gained weight... and today, I kind of clinched our Faustian downfall by driving us through the land of slick and salty chicken 'n' fish to come home and eat our food. After which, all three of us got sick.

I only felt mildly greasy and bloated... but Andy had more severe trouble of the bathroom variety and Ari actually threw up tonight while I was at class. A mixture of undigested LJS chicken and lots of milk from her afternoon nap that went awry - probably because she felt so sick she couldn't find a comfortable sleeping position.

So... what did I learn from this? Let see..
  • Don't eat fast food. Ever. Again. (Even on road trips!)
  • Cheating with food never feels as good as I think it's going to. Especially in the 20-minute aftermath of my stellarly naughty and unhealthy meal.
  • There is good cheating and bad cheating. Bad cheating feels like that second cigarette I used to have when I'd already decided to quit and starting having this sneaking suspicion that, hey - maybe this smoking thing is not all it's cracked up to be because I always feel worse after I smoke than I did before lighting that cancer stick.
  • Five pounds up the scale feels much more noticeable than five pounds down. This does not help with motivation... but it's worth remembering when that fried food starts calling my name.
  • I don't want to feel the way I am feeling as I type this post ever, ever again. And good lord, that should be an easy thing to accomplish because it's just FOOD after all. (Of course, those of us with eating and body issues may have more complicated issues with food than others... but the smoking analogy still works here. If it doesn't feel good, why do it?)
So... we'll see how it goes and how well I stick to it. Right now, I'm just praying my body will detox quickly and I can get back on my downward trend where the scale is concerned. More importantly, I just don't want to feel clogged anymore. I can actually feel it in the arteries in my neck. Seriously.

Ugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

best way to detox quickly is: psyllium (metamucil) which pulls the toxins out of the intestines.

plaidshoes said...

I have soooo been there! I have a bad habit of doing really well during the Holiday season and then falling off the wagon in January! I hope you feel better soon.