Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Pain Game

I can't remember if I've already written about this, but it keeps coming up lately, so forgive me if I'm being repetitive. One of my favorite instructors, Dr. Asner-Self, said something during our multicultural counseling class last summer that has stuck with me like glue and has provided a resounding echo that seems to follow me around in the many contexts in which I operate: student, mother, friend, colleague, counselor, etc.

Essentially, what she said was there is no point to comparing pain with other people. No point in comparing yours to someone else's - or even in comparing one person's pain to another's (friends, family members, coworkers). There is truly no benefit in engaging in such an activity.

It's important in the context of counseling because if you get caught up comparing your own hurts or tragedies to those of your client (be it openly or internally), you are no longer fully able to remain objectively open to helping that person. You end up putting yourself in a competitive rather than collaborative relationship... and your capacity for empathy and a nonjudgmental attitude is severely diminished.

But in a more general sense, I've begun to realize it is just as harmful in an everyday, regular, fellow-human-being context... because it's all relative - and one person's pain is another person's walk in the park. The important part is to recognize we all hurt... we all grieve... we all struggle... and we are all capable of good days and bad days.

Keeping this in mind has helped me identify ways to practice more compassion on a daily basis. To always remember that when most people share their pain (no matter where I might put it on my own continuum or understanding of sorrow), it is in an effort to connect, to be heard, to feel understood, and to be received with love.

To me, compassion is the process of providing that response - and it is a challenge worth posing to myself on a continual basis.

2 comments:

Claff said...

I have to say, this really resonates with me. Having recently been in the firing line of a few people who like to play the "pain game," so to speak, I echo the sentiment that it's not worth comparing. It makes for resentment and isolation.

That being said, there ARE times when you feel so overwhelmed with sadness or grief or pain that it becomes intolerable being in the presence of people who mope over even the pettiest of problems... for that I think there's no solution but to politely remove oneself from their presence until you are feeling more generous with your own time and effort. :) I guess that goes for therapists too - which is why therapists HAVE therapists, eh?

Genevra said...

Yes yes. We talk about self-care all the time, and one very large element of it is remaining mindful and self-aware so that you know when you are in a place wherein you cannot help others because you need to help/heal yourself first. (Which I think happens for everyone, just not in a this-is-your-career kind of way.) ;)