Thursday, November 13, 2008

Detroit Dilemma

Someone on NPR today echoed a sentiment I had expressed to my husband only days ago about the proposed bailout of the auto industry. Essentially, I feel like the issues that led to the current decline in demand for cars made by the companys in question must be addressed before any money is doled out.

Why not insist upon salary caps for top execs, mileage and energy efficiency standards for new models produced, and a timeline for expected growth/increase in sales?

As someone who is completely fed up with seeing flashy commercials touting cars that still only get 33 mph, I really think the opportunity now exists for the industry to remake itself and push into a new phase of creation and development aligned with green expectations and fuel-efficiency necessities based on our stated goal of weaning ourselves off foreign oil and finding new ways to support our energy consumption.

It's difficult, because so many jobs are tied to these decisions... and I would hate to see people laid off due to the poor decisions and bad management of those in top positions. But I do believe some kind of change has to be tied to any kind of financial parachute. Otherwise, we're just forestalling the inevitable collapse that will come from an industry that is out of touch and ineffective in the global market.

Sorry for the soapbox. These bailouts are making me increasingly nervous, and I still keep getting these nagging feelings we are in for even greater challenges and failings in the months to come. Let's hope I'm really, really wrong!

No comments: