Sunday, November 30, 2008

Flap, Flap. Beat, Beat.

Our little bird friends are back. Working furiously on nests tucked up in the corners of our front porch... perched carefully on top of pillars around the front of the house.

I assume they must be cardinals, and I have seen at least two families making preparations for winter... going and returning multiple times throughout the day with a strangely hypnotic and comforting rhythm.

Rather than being frustrated or worried about these intended winter sanctuaries, I am rather happy they've decided to return. I always look forward to seeing the little baby birds in the spring... their little scrawny heads wobbily and hungry with eyes shut and beaks wide, innocently open to the world as they wait for mommy to return with food.

I will miss this cycle and proximity to nature and her heartbeat. Perhaps it will simply mean I must look more mindfully from a new location in order to catch these small, daily miracles of life.

No comments: