Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Me (and You)

I really love collaborating with people. It kind of hit me today while at my internship site. Which is sort of silly because I had made an artistic career based on collaboration, ensemble work, and collective process... but hey - sometimes I'm a bit slow.

Sometimes what feels so hard is the drive I feel to collaborate in LOTS of different arenas. Books, research, work, scripts, counseling strategies, consultation, parenting, etc. What is lovely is I know lots of talented and truly outstanding people who fill me with excitement and renew my passion. What is difficult is my ever-lovin ability to get tangled up in the many imaginings and become so paralyzed by some search for (or belief) in a "right" path that I end up not actually moving anywhere.

Ah well. I have also realized lately this is an incredible time of growth and learning for me. I am more open to my frailties and aspects of my self that merit work. I also feel I am more aware of my strengths and abilities too... which I think has linked to a longing for purpose and connection to meaning in my life.

And although this seems like a senseless and highly selfish post... I will leave it. Because who knows... maybe it will speak to at least one person - and lately, I've also realized that sometimes the littlest actions we take which only intersect with one life in one moment are just as important and valuable as large, sweeping actions that are seen by many.

2 comments:

Michelle Hope said...

Hi Genevra,

Your post speaks to ME!

I'm Michelle, a friend of Dina and Ryan's from Chicago, and I just moved down to Austin for grad school. I too love collaborating with people, and have struggled this whole semester to find people to collaborate with. It's been an often painful process, but finally--just in the past week-- I've had two energizing conversations that ended with--"We have so much in common--let's find a way to work together!" So I'm more hopeful.

It's been rough few months and reading about your challenges and joys in grad school (and life) gives me strength. I just wanted you to know. Thanks :)
Michelle

Genevra said...

Thank you. That is wonderful to hear, and so kind of you to write. ;)

I am sorry to hear things have been rough... but how great that you kept searching until you found some members of your "tribe." I think that can be one of the most difficult things about moving somewhere new. That long, painful wait until you finally make a meaningful connection with someone (or someones) who feel familiar in a positive way.

I wish you all the best, Michelle! Thank you again for your note.