Friday, November 14, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Same-Sex Marriage

It's incredibly upsetting to me that Prop 8 passed in California recently. I'm glad gay marriage is now legal in Connecticut, but it seems this issue is the latest in a series of several that seems to divide the country quite sharply.

I don't quite understand how it's not a civil rights issue, as some people suggest, nor do I see how a case could go to the U.S. Supreme Court and possibly not be ruled in favor of gay couples seeking equal rights under the law. But hey - plenty of things have happened in the last 8 years that have left me shaking my head, and we're still working with a court slanted right in a way that often stuns the liberal progressives among us.

In the meantime, I remain so very thrilled for those friends who have managed to legally and formally tie the knot. I wish everyone could, and I wish those unions would be recognized in all states. My hope is, it's just a matter of time. That in 5 to 10 years the prejudice and discrimination that leads to things like "civil unions" and Prop 8 will strike us as so obviously biased and oppressive we will be stunned at our inability to live up to the philosophy of social justice and human advocacy upon which this country was founded.

Such beautiful language and such an important vision. It's worth fighting for.

1 comment:

JT said...

Thanks for that.