Saturday, July 12, 2008

about 5 years, 3 months, and 23 days

I met someone last night who is recently back from being stationed in Fallujah for 10 months. He was talking about how difficult it has been to adjust, and it made me think about how difficult the transition between military and civilian life must be in the midst of combat operations.

Physical, psychological, and emotional necessities in wartime can be at odds with the societal expectations and cultural norms faced upon returning home. Not to mention that - with any war or military action - not everyone supports being involved. And so to face anger or frustration, confusion or denial, or any range of emotions in response to one's efforts and values must be terribly difficult.

I do not support the war in Iraq. I have not from the very first stirrings of WMDs and talk of bringing democracy to the Middle East (which happened surprisingly early). I wish we were out, and I still feel anger at the decisions made by this particular administration that I believe have left us more vulnerable both domestically and internationally.

BUT, I support with all of my heart the many people who have chosen to serve in the military and have been posted in Iraq (and Afghanistan) because they believe in what they are doing and feel it is the right thing to do.

Although it's hard to know which stats to trust, the estimated number of soldiers killed since the war began in 2003 is 4118, 3355 of whom were killed in combat. The estimated casualties for Iraqi soldiers and civilians is even higher. For someone who does not support this action, those numbers are numbing, painful, and heartbreaking.

Meanwhile, those who come back are facing inadequate care, very little help in way of transitioning back into civilian life, and the difficult emotional turmoil of a country who is not unanimously committed to the fight.

I didn't say thank you to this young man last night, and I probably should have. I sometimes feel there is no way to adequately convey my gratitude to someone who has chosen to do something with which I strongly disagree, but which I honor and respect deeply.

It would be nice to live in a Utopian world where wars never occurred and soldiers were not necessary... but it seems that is a long way off. Until then, I will continue to petition Congress, try to stay informed, strive to react and interact with compassion and respect, and remember to express my gratitude to those who choose to serve while praying for the safety of all involved, as well as peace for all those affected.

No comments: