Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Request

We didn't go to church today. Too much to do in preparation for a visit from Papa Gallo and the generally disjointed and hectic feel of summer has kept us away for several weeks now.

This caused me some minor sadness at missing services yet again, but I did not think much of it until we were in the car on our way home from Flamm Orchards this afternoon and Andy told me about the shooting this morning in Tennessee. It was a Unitarian Universalist church in Knoxville.

Although I have been surprised and upset to hear of every church shooting that has occurred recently (and there have been frighteningly many), this one hit me harder because it was my faith. My chosen venue of worship. And so, in a sense, my people--even though I don't personally know any of them. I still feel connected through our faith, our principles, and our fellowships.

It happened at 10:15am this morning, which is exactly the time we usually leave to attend our church. At that time of morning at the Fellowship, people are usually all over the building - talking in the common room, finding seats in the fellowship hall before worship officially starts, taking excited children to RE classes and chatting with other members about summer activities. It is an atmosphere of peace, love, warmth, and connection. I am guessing the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church is very similar.

As of writing this, one person has died and eight people are in serious to critical condition at the hospital. They have a suspect in custody, and the community is banding together to support those affected by the violence.

Please, if you would, keep them in your thoughts and prayers. I have no doubts they could use your blessings.

No comments: