Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh to be bouncy!

I was watching Pixar shorts with Ari today and happened across one of my all-time favorites, Boundin'. It stands out to be because one of my instructors, Dr. Mieling, said it reminded her of our program coordinator, Karen Prichard, who was set to retire at the end of the spring semester.

I remember being struck by what a lovely thought that was... and what a great compliment she was giving in calling Dr. Prichard a "jackalope."

The concept of resilience seems of tantamount importance to me, and I find a connection with Eastern philosophy in the sense that in order to rebound, you have to let go of attachment to expectation and remember that the river in which you are standing is still moving... the moment of your disappointment or pain or shame, etc. is temporary and passes. The river keeps flowing, and the act of letting go and remaining in the now allows for pliancy.

I aspire to be a jackalope, though it is sometimes a seemingly impossible dream. And I highly value the few jackalopes I have in my life... great friends and family who remind me to keep moving, even in the darkest of times.


No comments: