Monday, December 15, 2008

Day 1 (of 13138)

A few years ago, my friend Rachel was telling me about a woman she knows up in NH who she found rather inspiring. She had designed her own house, published a few books, and was some sort of artist - I want to say weaver, but that could be just what's stuck in my head and in no way accurate.

The important part about this memory - distorted as it may be - was how I felt upon hearing about this person... and the way it resonated in my solar plexus. I wanted to be that brave... that fearless in my artistic and personal pursuits. To possess such confidence and to have faith in my ability to create such things for myself and follow a path that was genuine and fruitful.

I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I think my first book was one I wrote about having my tonsils removed. My mother still has it in a drawer full of special papers and creations by both me and my brother. I've always loved writing, and I've always written in one form or another. But I've never believed strongly enough in my ability to be an author that I just shoved off and did it.

Until today. I had a story pop into my head a few nights ago, a book idea, which is not all that unusual. I have those all the time... usually children's books or young adult fiction. I let them kick around in my head and sometimes write down titles or short little descriptions... but I never commit to the actual writing because I always get worried I will fail when it comes time to send it out and find a publisher.

Today I decided to break that cycle of stagnation. I began writing what will hopefully become my first children's book. I figure, it's in my head and it's the clearest, most marketable idea I've ever had. It just keeps coming to me... pouring forth like a steady trickle and begging to be placed somewhere permanent. So who am I to argue?

I have no idea who will illustrate it. I have no idea how to send the manuscript out, find a publisher, cut a deal, etc. But at least I have gotten to the point of no longer blocking myself from writing it and believing that when it comes time for the next step, I'll figure it out.

So whether this leads to something you can one day buy off the book shelf or not, it still marks a large leap for me and my fear of commitment (and lack of self-confidence). It marks a shift in the way I view myself and the relationship I have to making choices and creating movement in my life.

I've been thinking of Rachel all day... appreciating the moment wherein she told me that story, because it carried forward to today and changed the way I approach my life. It's funny to carry a gift like that around with you and choose to unwrap it several years later, but I've always been a bit pokey about opening up to good things.

4 comments:

plaidshoes said...

Good luck! Sometimes you just have to dive in and see where it takes you.

dinabear said...

Genevra:

I have always suffered from the same problem, to the point where I wouldn't even confide in anyone close to me about my ideas. I'd fear even talking about it, because I'd be afraid that then I'd have to commit to it. I have these ideas I have been mulling on for years, and I know I want to write them, but I falter when I think of sitting in front of the computer to get started. It's so much easier to just blog, so non-committal in a way. Safe.

It's really comforting to know I am not the only one out there, and I should really just get over it already and do it.

Thank you for inspiring ME.

xoxo
Dina

Claff said...

Aw, this post made me all warm and fuzzy. I think of YOU often and how much you inspire me.

And I've been there - I'm stuck artistically all the time. Not sure why I get in my own way. Thousands of little ideas, just percolating in there, but never making a full pot of coffee, so to speak... :)

I'm proud of you. And I want to see a draft when you're ready!!!

Lita (the woman I told you about) is doing really well as a children's book writer and illustrator. Again - never went to school for it, I don't think - just up and decided to start doing it. She has an amazing book called "One Thousand Tracings" that's winning lots of awards. By the way... if you ever want to talk to her... I'm sure she'd be game. She's awfully nice. I envy her in the same way - incredible inspiration with just a touch of regret that I don't have that spirit. But I *could.* If I'd let myself. I'm glad you're giving yourself the leeway.

I love you. I miss you. So much.

Genevra said...

Plaidshoes... thanks for the encouragement!

Dina... by all means - just do it. What is the worse that can happen? Failure, right? And even that can sometimes have a wonderful outcome because we learn so much from our mistakes. Glad the post was inspiring to you - and if my cheerleading might help... then I say GO FOR IT my dear! You are tremendous and talented!!!!

Rachel... I miss you terribly too. Terribly terribly. And I can totally connect and empathize with the whole "getting in the way" thing. I like how you put that. Here's hoping we have full pots of coffee to share with one another soon... and we are able to become the women we wish to be! I love you.