Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Short and Sweet

We saw WALL*E tonight, by Pixar (and, I suppose, Disney) - which is by far one of my most favorite creative entities in this world. The movie is incredibly sweet, albeit a wee bit predictable and a tiny bit too-political (in a not subtle enough way)... but overall very, very good. I am a tough audience probably.

I wish they had stayed dialogue-free a little longer, as I was so impressed with the choice they made to keep the movie driven by sound and movement in the beginning. I'm also curious what would have happened if humans had never been introduced as characters, and whether WALL*E's sacrifice would have been more impactful if he never came back (but then I guess that would be a tragedy... which does not always a children's movie make).

In another life, I would have moved to California and figuratively prostituted myself to Pixar in order to work there. Anything... swept floors, reception work, admin assist - whatever. Just so I could be a part of their artistic vision and movie magic.

In this life, I will take satisfaction in being a consumer only, and feel joyful there is such good art in the world that never fails to provide catharsis and food for thought.

No comments: