Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Down, Down, Down

I think those of us who live in Illinois knew it was just a matter of time before Rod Blagojevich made a big enough mistake to warrant arrest and probable impeachment. Yet, it's still a rather embarassing and disappointing thing to have happen.

I was born in Illinois and have lived here for the majority of my life (with a sizeable chunk spent elsewhere in the middle). I think I've spent more time in this state than any other... and I do consider myself a Midwesterner at heart (with a little bit of farmgirl thrown in for good measure).

I'm not sure what it is about our political system - and especially our governors - that seems to lead to unquestionable corruption. Perhaps the unavoidable ridiculousness of this latest gaffe will spur our civil servants into more ethical and professional behavior in the future. One can only dream, I suppose.

In the meantime, I hope those already struggling to make ends meet and survive the sickly economy are able to do so despite the inevitable fallout in the months to come. With budget cutbacks and an increasingly rocky climate where healthcare is concerned, we may see darker days to come.

No comments: