Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Bit of Success!

I think I mentioned it before, but my office is doing a sort of "Biggest Loser" thing here at work that sort of follows the format of the hit TV show (which I have yet to see).

We've been doing it for several weeks now, and today we did our weekly weigh-in and I was the big loser!! Total surprise as I had kind of eaten way too much twice this week (Don Taco does me in every time - I just need to start ordering something different because I have no - and I mean NO - willpower). I looked at the scale over the weekend and felt really sad because I had gained weight... felt all those old feelings and self-defeating inner thoughts swell back up... and tried very hard to replace it all with positive self-talk, an attitude of acceptance and patience, and some self-love.

(I'm not sure how your attempts at self-love work out, but mine are not always immediately, smoothly successful. Doesn't mean I stop trying... just means it doesn't always take right away. Incidently, this is something I've been thinking about quite a lot lately: resilience, self-esteem, self-efficacy, emotional stability - but that's a topic for another blog.)

So - back to my story - imagine my surprise when I stepped on the scale today (Jaime keeps a digital one in her office) and found I had lost 2.8 pounds! Mind you, our process is not entirely scientific and there is certainly room for error... but it was still a very happy thing to see.

No comments: