Saturday, April 19, 2008

Hold please...

So I've decided to put my ministerial aspirations (and totally unexpected calling) on hold. At least for the time being.

There are many reasons... the first being one of my minister's pieces of advice (passed along to him by another minister when he first considered divinity school): If there's anything else you can do, do it.

I got the same piece of advice when I started to pursue theatre. And I did not listen. And ultimately, I'm glad I did not listen, but - many years later and several lessons wiser - I understand where it's coming from and I no longer take such advice lightly.

Many assessments, much conversing with others, and lots of talks with Andy later... I ended up feeling like the practicalities and logistics of pursuing the ministry and actually being a minister did not sound like a good fit... at least for right now. After all, I left theatre precisely so that I could have a more sane schedule, have most of my evenings and weekends free, and be doing something that matched better with my child's schedule so that I could be a mommy.

SO. The latest decision (and lord knows it could change again) is to continue on with my current line of study, find a job as a school counselor, and see how that feels. Maybe it will be a perfect fit. Maybe I will find other ways to fulfill my spiritual inclinations and social outreach. Maybe it will simply be something to do while Ari is young so that I have more time with her. We shall see.

I figure, it's not like it's going to disappear or be any less viable 10 years from now. In fact, I might be even more qualified and prepared to shift gears at that point and might end up better serving the folks around me. Who knows.

There are many ways to serve a larger moral and social purpose. Many avenues to take toward helping others. Many roads. Many possibilities. And many reasons to take it one step at a time.

No comments: