Monday, March 3, 2008

3 years, 5 months, and 23 days

One of the unfortunate realities of being in a graduate program is the quality time I can spend with my family becomes severely compromised whenever I am busy or the assignments start piling up - which is often.

This affects me and Ari a bit, but it affects me and Andy even more. Due to our need to balance two work schedules, caring for Ari, working on the house, and the daily/weekly chores that cannot be ignored or put off for very long... we just don't get to see each oher very often. Our one-on-one time as a couple has decreased significantly, which inevitably happens when you have a child - but becomes a little ridiculous when one of you goes back to school.

We entered it with eyes open, though perhaps not without some mistaken assumptions. And we know we'll make it through to the other side. But the actual in it part is equal parts lonely and sad; something we both struggle to accept and make the best of.

The plus side of it all is I am more aware than ever how much I love my husband and how grateful I am to be married to him. I look forward to the point in the future when we can spend more time together, and I am forever amazed at the ways in which we do manage to stay connected despite the busyness and chaos of our lives at present.

I can't wait to grow old with him, to continue to travel our individual and collective roads as we build a family and establish roots in a life we have mindfully and actively pursued. He inspires me, he anchors me, he makes me laugh, and he challenges me to continually evolve.

So forgive the little love note, but I don't declare it loudly or often enough.

ANDY BAYIATES, I LOVE YOU!

No comments: