Sunday, March 2, 2008

The best cookies ever!

I love cooking and sharing recipes. It gives me great joy to share food with others and especially to know they enjoyed it and felt sated, inspired, or pleased by eating something I have made with my own two little hands.

I'm sure there are other things at work when it comes to recipes and cooking - things like my own concepts of femininity and womanhood, what it means to be successful, my self-concept and how I define myself as mother and wife, and areas of insecurity or self-doubt with regard to food and female-ness.

All of that aside, I love it when someone asks me for a recipe... LOVE it. It seems one of the greatest compliments and a clear message of acceptance and gratitude to know that someone enjoyed something I made so much they want to have it again and make it for themselves. LOVE it.

So here is my latest favorite. A biscotti cookie recipe passed down from my grandmother to my father to me. It's a variation on the traditional Italian cookie (biscotti) that is softer and a bit sweeter. Normally, you would ice them with confectioner's sugar icing... but I prefer them plain.

Round Biscotti Cookies
2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 stick butter or margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
  • Throw all the ingredients into a bowl and combine. (It can help to soften the butter first - and I usually mix it all together using my hands, rather than a spoon.)
  • Once dough is mixed and ready, roll into one-inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
  • Remove to rack to cool. (Ice if desired.)

No comments: