Friday, March 7, 2008

Heartsick

I heard news this morning covering the shooting that took place at a seminary in Jerusalem wherein 8 Jewish students were killed before the gunman was shot and killed by a local police officer. The gunman was Palestinian, and his motives are - at this time - unclear.

I can't help but recall the recent shootings in Virginia and DeKalb; however, the chance this gunman acted alone or that his act was disconnected from the ongoing conflicts between Israel and Palestine is quite slim. Hamas did not claim responsibility, but voiced their clear support.

My understanding of the history behind the intense violence in the Middle East is terribly poor. It's one of the things I look forward to learning more about when I (hopefully) go back to school for my M.Div. Yet, my guess is that - even after attaining a better understanding of the reasons behind this struggle, I will still find it difficult to accept the sorrow, loss of life, and escalating retaliation on both sides.

8 Israelis and 1 Palestinian dead... preceded by 120 Palestinians dead... plus 4 more Isrealis... and at least 10 more Palestinians. And that's just in the last few weeks.

I don't mean to simplify what is certainly a complex and painful issue for many people or a terrifying and grim way of life for those who live in those countries.

I pray for peace... compassion... enlightenment... stability.... guidance, bravery, justice, and empathy. May those who seek safety find it. May those who seek compromise reach it.

No one in this fight deserves to suffer.

No comments: